Understanding the concepts of Autism Spectrum Disorder’s treatment and therapy is very difficult. It is why organizations publicize the knowledge and awareness concerning autism to help people understand its nature. It is to help individuals with autism and their families to live better lives and avoid isolation. This has been mentioned in www.abqpetcarehospital.com/
Autism is a condition which severely impairs the communicative, cognitive, emotional, and social functions of the person. However, individuals with ASD can range from people with learning problems to mediocre and above average intellects. Due to this, its treatment and therapy is a case by case basis. Below are some facts about autism to better understand its nature.
- About one percent of the world population has autism which is approximately 70 million individuals.
- One out of three individuals with autism has epilepsy, and nearly 30 to 50 percent of them have seizures.
- It is a lifelong disorder, and the treatment and therapy are only to help them cope with society.
- ASD has currently five types namely Autism, Asperger Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder- Not Otherwise Specified, Rett Syndrome, and Childhood Disintegrative Disorder.
- Its signs can show as early as six months of age and are diagnosable at 18 months of age.
- 25 percent of these people are non-verbal.
Toddlers may be unable to recognize their names and unable to keep or avoid eye contact. They may also do unusual repetitive movements and play with toys strangely. Parents are suggested to contact their pediatricians for a developmental screening if they notice such signs or their kids are unusually behind on their developmental achievements.
Science has determined that autism is a genetic issue, although it is not clear what causes genes to have this result. In fact, there are about 90 percent of both individuals in identical twins to have autism if there one of them has this condition. However, fraternal twins only have about three to ten percent in the same scenario.
It is unsure if the environment has any effect on autism. However, it is a scientifically proven fact that vaccines have not been the cause of autism since 1990 until the present. It was also a belief that autism is a product of a traumatic experience resulting in a type of schizophrenia which is not true.
Therapy and Treatment
Early intervention is hugely beneficial for children with autism as medical professionals suggest. They may be able to learn skills proficient enough in the process to attend regular schools.
Here is a list of valid treatments for autism as of now:
- Applied Behavioral Analysis
- Physical Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
Autism has no cure because it is not a disease. Information on the Internet about cure for autism has no proven scientific claims and may bring more harm than good.
People should not shun them or show disdain due to their uniqueness because they need all the help they can get. They need support and understanding to help them try to live normally. Families that have members with this disorder should reach out to groups and organizations willing to help individuals with autism for counseling and advice.